jeudi 28 août 2014

What Is Up With All This Drama Sir? (originally posted on facebook 10/3/2013)

I had a very interesting day yesterday. I went downtown to meet some Peace Corp volunteers for dinner at the French Cultural Center. I had my first beer in like 10 days. Oh was it sweet. Had sangria with the Peace Corp cultural liaison and event planner, who got me on the guest list for a pool party at the Marine's house. I got in a fight with a taxi driver who claimed that I gave him bad information and he wanted more money. 

He kept me in his taxi for 15 minutes or so trying to get me to admit I had made a mistake. I realized that I was really french with him when I said, "Sir, I believe that there has just been a misunderstanding, but I told you exactly where to go and this does not appear to be that place, now is it?" And he told me, "I'm not stupid, you are saying it's no one's fault, but by your voice I can hear you are saying it's my fault". To the taximan, I say well played sir. 

I told him if we are indeed where you say we are and that is the place that I told you to go, then I should be able to walk home in about five minutes. Am I five minutes from my home? No it is too far to walk, he replied. So I said, one can only assume then, you did not take me where I asked you to, but I will admit that there was a misunderstanding between us. 

So eventually, after telling me he just wanted me to understand my mistake, I told him, noted and it will never happen again, he took me home. I was a little pissed, so I finally visited my rooftop terrace, curled up in the hammock and listened to NPR while watching the stars. I found my oasis of calm. All in all, I made some new friends, chilled in the hammock and felt cool (Africa is still hot) for like the first time since I arrived. Marine party is tomorrow, so here's hoping for no drama.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire