jeudi 28 août 2014

Crazy Weekend in Dakar (originally posted on facebook 12/13/2013)

I can’t believe it’s already Wednesday and I haven’t given an update on the last week. So last Thursday was a bittersweet affair. Went downtown for my roommate Jeremy's farewell evening. First dinner ate Chez Loutcha. I did not eat as I preferred to drink my money at the French Institute, where we met up with some friends afterwards. Later we shimmied over to the Viking for beer, and then somehow ended up dancing at Ozio with Mouhamed and Zoumana, who was also celebrating his last night in Dakar. 

Dancing, though fun, was probably a bad idea, since I had to be at work the next morning. A very unproductive half day, but I was looking forward to taking a nice nap before heading to Charly Bar. Nap was cut short however, when Nick called to remind me that I had offered to make him dinner. So I had to hurry off to the grocery store for some veggies, cheese and meat. He had the Bordeaux waiting. 

We grilled the steaks and I made a cheesy vegetable melange. Then I headed off to Charly Bar where I was chastised by several groups of friends for being so late. But you can’t just bounce on dinner, and a good meal requires you to take your time. Danced at Charly and drank beers poolside before heading home at some ridiculous hour. 

Saturday I was dead. Woke up super late, picked up a pizza, watched Will and Grace and played Candy Crush. Sunday, met up with Iba and Mouhamed for brunch at Taste of America, and ordered a full spread. 3 cinnamon roll buttermilk pancakes (are you kidding me?), hashbrowns, sausage, eggs and hibiscus juice. Service was slow, took an hour to get our food, but the cook told us she had been open for only three weeks, and she was cooking all the food herself. Apparently it’s hard to find chefs in Dakar who can make American cuisine. So as long as you are not in a rush to get anywhere; definitely going back, getting the grits next time and the strawberry cheesecake pancakes. If you are homesick for the US, this place will sate you. 

After brunch headed to Virage beach to enjoy the sun, sand and waves and several bottles of wine and a few whiskey cokes. Very fun and relaxing weekend to prepare me for this week. Yesterday I had a meeting in Thies and got to use one of the Tostan cars and drivers. So much more comfortable than public transportation, the sept-place is no fun. Once you’ve had a taste; comfortable SUV, the latest hip hop tunes coming from the driver’s MP3 player, door to door service… air condition. It’s really the only way to travel. 

Tomorrow is a holiday, Tamxarit, Muslim New Year’s. Looking forward to a short week and perhaps some more parties. Who am I kidding? Definitely some more parties.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire