jeudi 28 août 2014

Wealth Inequality, Failed Development and Language Learning (originally posted on facebook 12/18/2013)

I feel like time is just slowing to a crawl. I guess this is what anticipation does to you, can't wait to go on my mission and then Marrakesh!! But in the meantime I wanted to share two links with everyone, because they really encapsulate two important motivators in my life. One is the Ted Radio Hour discussing the haves and have nots and the problem with development and wealth inequality. And the other is why there is no excuse to not learn a language, and as many as you want. 

I have been very fortunate in my life and these two talks do a good job of explaining how. I have worked with amazing organizations and with people who have opened my eyes to not just injustice, but the ways that assistance can be unjust. That it is not enough to have your heart in the right place, and it is not true that something is better than nothing. The fact is, international aid, and local aid for that matter, done poorly can destroy people and communities. Only in assistance do we look at the failure of a "product" and blame the "customer". 

The other talk goes a long way in explaining the so-called "gift" for languages, which I have never believed in, and almost take as an insult. The notion of a gift, not only acting as a convenient excuse for not learning a second language, completely negates all the work, the classes, the travel, the embarrassment, the loss of self, the uprooting of identity, the successes, and eventual acceptance that is all a part of learning languages. And as Benny explains, there are efficient ways of learning languages, and each person will have to find what works for them. 

But much like development, the official way of learning is very inefficient. If you are serious about learning a foreign language, let this guy be your guru, and of course you can always ask me for tips. I promise you my answer won't be, you just have to have the gift. Please take a look and listen and leave comments about what you think.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire