mardi 15 septembre 2009

La Cage aux Folles, that's the Birdcage

I love a night of theatre and I have been meaning to see more shows. So it was a pleasant surprise when Mika took me to see "La Cage aux Folles". Which is the French play that the "Birdcage" is based on. Interesting note about the French title, is that it is actually a play on words. Folles being the word for birds, but also a slang word for gay folks, similar to queen or fairy; I love puns! The play is currently at the Théâtre de la Porte Saint-Martin near Republique.

The Théâtre de la Porte Saint-Martin is an old theater that dates from the late 18th century and is quite grand once inside. A major complaint about the theater; however, would be the seats. I understand that the theater was built in 1782, and I am fully aware that people were smaller in that time; but I find it difficult to believe that the chairs have not be replaced since the French Revolution. The seats were very poorly configured, at least in the mezzanine. I have never been so uncomfortable in a theater, and I do not consider myself to be extremely tall. There was no room for my legs, and I do not believe cutting them off at the knee would have improved the situation. In addition to the child-size seating, the theater was incredibly hot; clearly there was no air conditioning or it was not making its way to the second mezzanine. In addition, the rows were not sufficiently raised making it difficult to see the stage. I spent the entire two hours playing the role of the spying contortionist, as I had to peek between the two people in front of me to get a glimpse of the stage. Before the play began Mika had decided he was going to sit in the third row, I remained in the second, next to a pillar which meant there was no seat next to him. This also freed his seat which gave me a bit more wiggle room.

The play itself was actually rather amusing. It starred Didier Bourdon (Albin) and Christian Clavier (George), who are popular and well-known actors, I am assured. It was a good play for me personally, because the dialogue was not always so easy to follow; however, considering that I had seen the "Birdcage" when I was 13, with my dad, I was fully aware of the story line. Though many of the jokes escaped me, there were more than a few I was able to follow. Of course the ridiculous antics and costumes were to be expected and were a hit. The audience seemed to love the play and laughed uproariously the whole way through.

It was a pleasure to see the original play, which spawned a French movie and a Broadway musical and finally a Hollywood movie. For my first French theater experience its a mixed review, and I find myself with my typical reaction which is to be happier about having had the opportunity to have the experience, then the joy from the experience itself. In other words, I am glad I had a chance to see this play, even if I was not raving about it afterward. I am not sure when my next French theater experience will take place, though I did receive free tickets for two plays at the entrance of the theater. So I imagine it will be very soon.

1 commentaire: