lundi 23 février 2015

Arabic Word Stump of the Day: Sahafa

Usually while studying Arabic, I can make the link between ancient meanings and modern usage of certain root forms, but the word for "newspaper" has thrown me for a loop. Newspaper in Arabic is, sahifa, the root of course being shf, which also gives us other modern concepts, such as journalism, and journalist. The verb sahhafa however, means exactly what you should not do if you are working in the "news business". It means, to misread, mispronounce, misspell, distort and twist; in fact, absolutely everything you should not do. 

If anyone can explain this one to me that would be great, because this one has me stumped. Unless of course, you go with the simple answer, which is the Arab speaking world has hipstered us and went with irony when choosing a word for journalism realizing the true nature of journalism as distortion and wanted to make it explicit. At any rate, this will be a very useful root. It has two very precise meanings that I will use often. I will probably frequently talk about newspapers and journalism, and in Arabic I will also frequently mispronounce, misread and misspell.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire